Baby & Toddler
Flat head syndrome, or plagiocephaly, is a condition where baby’s head is flattened on one side, causing it to look slightly asymmetrical. It affects many babies, but isn’t normally a major cause for concern, as it does not have any effect on baby’s brain or cause them pain.
Flat head occurs as a result of constant pressure on a single point on baby’s skull. Newborn babies’ bones are still relatively soft, so the skull’s shape can be changed slightly during the early stages of development.
The 1994 ‘Safe to Sleep’ campaign raised awareness that the safest position for babies to sleep in was on their backs: this led to the number of infant deaths halving. But while it is vital babies do sleep on their backs, this knowledge has led to an increase in cases of flat head.
Flat head can also be caused by problems in the womb, premature birth, or neck muscle tightness.
You can help prevent a flat head by making sure your baby’s head is not always resting in the same position. These techniques can also help improve visible plagiocephaly and encourage natural correction of the skull, up to around 5 months of age
· “Tummy time” - play with your baby where both of you are lying on your front (but make sure they always sleep on their back as this is safest for them).
· Use toys or mobiles to encourage your baby to move their neck muscles in the cot.
· Change the position of toys in the cot, so baby turns their head to different angles.
· Swap which end of the cot your baby sleeps at.
· Reduce the amount of time baby spends in car seats and prams when you’re not travelling.
· Move your baby between flat surfaces, slings, and sloping chairs to ensure there isn’t constant pressure on just one part of the head.
· Alternate the sides you hold baby for carrying and feeding.
Developed and patented by French Paediatrician Dr Maidenberg, the original Lovenest is designed with a unique incline, to fit the shape of baby’s head and evenly distribute pressure across the skull. The soft breathable foam filling and gentle contoured shape creates a cocoon effect, to reassure baby. See Lovenest here: https://bit.ly/2MNgFYQ
Our next-generation baby pillow provides the same supportive, contoured shape as well as being made from highly breathable, antibacterial Coolmax® fabric to ensure baby is cool and comfortable. The non-slip back makes Lovenest+ suitable for use in cots, bouncers, swings and car seats, offering equal support without restricting freedom of movement. Learn more here: https://bit.ly/2vFNnB0
The Cosydream sleep aid was developed to help baby sleep in the most comfortable, safe position on his/her back. The built-in head pillow supports baby’s growing skull and helps spread the weight evenly over baby’s head. Soft cotton fabrics and memory foam make Cosydream a snug nest for newborns who are used to the cocoon-like protection of the mothers womb– plus it has a variety of other health benefits too. Find out more about the Cosydream: https://bit.ly/2LptWSG