Food Safety & Weaning: Food Safety expert; Jenna Brown, shares some top tips on what you can do to ensure the food you serve your little ones is safe!
• Most importantly, check the temperature of your fridge!
To reduce the risk of food poisoning, make sure your fridge is running between 1-5⁰C. If you’re not sure, it might be worth investing in a fridge thermometer (you can usually pick one of these up for less than £5)
• Organise your fridge to make sure you store raw meat and fish separately from ready to eat foods. The best place to store raw meat and raw fish is the bottom shelf – not only does this prevent cross contamination of juices dripping onto other foods below, but is also the coldest part of the fridge… a win-win!
• Keep cooked and ready to eat foods higher up, saving the doors for condiments, jams and juices as the doors are most at risk of temperature fluctuations
• First in – First out: When returning from the supermarket, put new foods at the back so using older products first will come naturally!
Regardless of how you serve meat to your little one, it’s important to make sure that it is thoroughly cooked! What to do with leftovers? Babies have little tummies and a daily changing appetite!
• Make sure you cool any leftovers you want to keep as quickly as possible, but always within 2 hours (Follow @Foodsafetymum Instagram page for some tips on how to cool food quickly!)
• As a rule of thumb, leftovers can be kept in the fridge and used within 2 days (1 day for rice dishes) but if you want longer than this, then make sure you pop your leftovers in the freezer!
• Remember though that foods can only be reheated once so make sure you divide your puree into baby friendly portions before storing in the fridge or freezer!
Hopefully you find this blog useful in helping you prepare for the weaning journey with your little one! For more information, follow Jenna on Instagram @Foodsafetymum or visit www.foodsafetymum.co.uk
This blog was written by Jenna Brown, aka the Food Safety Mum (@Foodsafetymum) Jenna is a fully qualified Environmental Health Practitioner specialising in food safety and public health. In 2011, Jenna obtained a First Class Honours (BSc Hons) degree in Environmental Health and later gained full qualification as an Environmental Health Practitioner with the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH). With over 10 years experience specialising in food safety and public health management in both the public and private sector, Jenna is also a Mum to 2 little girls and is passionate about using her expertise to educate others to give them confidence when cooking at home or when eating out and about! For lots more food safety advice, follow Jenna on Instagram @Foodsafetymum or visit her website: www.foodsafetymum.co.uk
Soft White Industrial Grey
Nutribaby(+) 5-in-1 Food Prep Machine
Award-winning 5-in-1 food prep machine 5-in-1 function: Steam, blend, sterilise, defrost and reheat! Perfect for baby-led and spoon-fed weaning: 3 blending speeds for different textures Maximum nutrition with minimal effort: Healthy, steam cooking of vegetables, meats, eggs, grains, pulses, oats, fruits and moreIn Stock
'Petit Gourmand' Fun Food Shaping Kit
The fun food prep kit to encourage your children to enjoy eating fruit and vegetables, or any other foods as part of a balanced meal! Rounded-tip utensils for 100% safety - Swiss design. The kit includes: 1 heart-shaped cutter 1 star-shaped cutter 1 melon baller 1 vegetable crinkle cutter 1 spiral/spaghetti peeler 2 silicone moulds Mini...In Stock
Nutribaby ONE 4-in-1 Food Prep Machine
NEW Nutribaby ONE 4in1 Food Prep Machine: maximum nutrition and minimal effort from early weaning 4in1 appliance: steam, blend, defrost, reheat Steam & blend simultaneously: Prepare 1 taste 2 ways - steamed finger foods AND purees 2in1 cooking vessel: Cook pasta, grains, pulses, oats OR collect lost nutrients from steamed foods to add...In Stock